Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Monday, May 22, 2006

idiots loose in parliament....

It is understandable that the appointment of Minister For Veterans Affairs seems to generally go the biggest idiot on the Government Front Bench, but this latest snafu takes the cake. I think you'll get the gist of things from this typical veteran's email to the minister:
From: Jeff ******* (Surname/email address elided)

Sent: Monday, 22 May 2006 9:24 AM

To: 'B.Billson.MP@aph.gov.au'

Subject: your comments about mental illness of ex servicemen

Dear Mr. Billson,

I am a third generation TPI. That means that three generations of my family have had their effective working life cut short by serving their country. This is not meant to seek sympathy from you but to establish my credentials.

"Whereas in the past the military was viewed as a place where social "misfits" did time in order to get "sorted out", such people were not suited to today's defence force, where multiple deployments to difficult environments was the norm", he said.

Did you really say this or is it a miss quote by the press?

Who are these people you are describing?

You may not realize that there are a lot of ex service men and women who are suffering from a variety of war caused psychological disorders who see this as the Minister who is supposed to be representing their problems to parliament, attempting to white wash away the problems they are suffering from, as a preexisting condition. It implies that we are responsible for our suffering because we were unfit to represent our country when we volunteered or were called up. It implies that the new recruits will be able to go to war and come back unscathed because they will be chosen from sterner stuff than they were in my grandfather’s, my father’s and my time.

I hope this isn’t your intention Minister as the ‘misfits’ of Anzac Cove, the Kokoda Track, Long Tan and so many other areas of conflict are now tainted by your comments.

We, the long suffering ‘misfits’, are already seeing our sacrifice devalued by a succession of governments, including your own, who have let the TPI payments be eroded from 100 percent of average weekly wage to now in the low 40s and in free fall. What happens next?

Do you want us to give back our medals and apologise for failing to be ‘sorted out’?

I hope you can find these superhumans who are able to endure being in ‘today’s defence force, where multiple deployments to difficult environments’ are ‘the norm’. When did that become the norm and who is responsible for making it that way?

You and your government colleagues are the ones who send us to war. I am sorry that all us ‘misfits’ failed you. Maybe next war we should send politicians to show us how we should have been better ‘suited’ to see and experience to horrors of war and not be affected by it.

Judging by the way you can hear and see the suffering of the ‘misfits’ and ignore it, indicates that you are made of that ‘sterner stuff’ we now require.

Lead on Mr. Billson.

Yours Sincerely

Jeff *******

(A Very Proud Misfit)
I'll be drafting a similar response to this bumbling ministerial fool's public outburst. I'll keep you posted.

8 Comments:

Blogger JahTeh said...

So all the boys in Chipp's marble barrell were misfits. Well a lot of the poor buggers were certainly "sorted out" in the worst way.

Go get them Bear.

May 22, 2006 9:58 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

I've sent him an email pretty much in the vein of the one above. I also demanded an apology and told him I thought he was a disgrace.

BTW, I've got another reply from Ruddock which I haven't published here yet. It's pure political obfuscatory gobbledegook. But so far his reply rate has been 3/3. I call that pretty good.
Satisfactoriness of response - 1/10. I call that abysmal. All fluff and no substance.

I used to say that this is only happening because not enough of them are getting shot but these days it's seditious to indulge in such wry sarcasm so I won't say it...

May 22, 2006 10:09 PM  
Blogger GreenSmile said...

Gerry, the post makes me wonder: is Australian govmnt peopled with pro-war, defense obsessed men who have never worn a uniform or served? We have very few vets in the Bush league and a much greater record of armed services experience among the current crop of elected Democrats...not that they aren't fools as well but they are no where near as out of touch with the glorious service the republicans largely avoided.

May 22, 2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Greenie, I don't really know the stats on that, but I can come at it from another angle for you: From my exerience in the military, I'd say about 90% of those serving vote conservative. From that statistic I could estrapolate that more of them, of they went into politics, would join the conservatives.

However, the only federal politician I know who is a Vietnam veteran is Labor.

May 22, 2006 10:31 PM  
Blogger Mike Ballard said...

Good point about how the Liberals are attempting to lay the blame for any post traumatic stress disorders on our pre-existing condition, that of being a 'misfit'.

Also, the cutting of veterans' benefits seems to be de rigeur for the polytricksters in both the US and Australia. It's all "hail the heroes!" when we leave and "who's that misfit, layabout ?" when we come home.

May 23, 2006 12:05 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

They're bastards, Mike. If I wasn't such a pacifist I'd say that this is only happening because not enough of them are getting shot, but I can't say that, so I'll just say if you see one of these assholes, chuck a beer in their face and say "the beer's on me!"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Anyway, their enlistment figures are so far down they won't be able to defend their outhouse soon...

May 24, 2006 2:51 AM  
Blogger GreenSmile said...

============ off topic ===============
Sorry yer Bearness, found another book you don't need to read but might like to know of...for your reading list.
Too lazy to find a proper way to tell you about it:

http://www.lulu.com/content/276367

May 24, 2006 3:57 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Greenie, Stan Goff is one of my heroes. The book sounds tempting, but as I will explain soon, I will channel my small amount of energy in a different direction (for now). I'll probably read it eventually, but for now, listing it in my booklist will have to suffice. Thanks for the heads-up.

May 24, 2006 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========