On the subject of the existence or non-existence of god (or gods), I argue that there can only be three philosophical positions (as defined by me) which a person can adopt:
- Theism: The belief that it is true that there is a god (or gods).
- Agnosticism: The belief that we do not know, in any scientifically or logically acceptable way, whether or not there is a god (or gods).
- Atheism: The belief that it is true that there is no god (or gods).
So, here then are my definitions of knowing and believing.
Knowing: Being able to demonstrate, either scientifically (via the laws of physics), or logically (beware the fallacies of logic), that something is true.
Believing: Holding something to be true, but being unable to demonstrate such truth either scientifically (via the laws of physics), or logically (beware the Fallacies of Logic).
And hence I argue that the only reasonable position a person can adopt is that of agnosticism.
I assert that we are all believers in the sense of this discourse, and therefore my biggest problem is with atheists.
Atheists often claim that they are not True Believers. This claim makes them hypocrites, equivocators, sohists and/or obfuscators. They claim to have a problem with True Believers whilst using all of the above tricks of the trade to confuse their interlocutors into believing that they (the atheists) know that there is no god (or gods).
I put it to you, dear reader, that an atheist is nothing more than a pig-ignorant lying bigot. Atheists steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that they are really agnostics. And please don't blur the boundary between atheism and agnosticism, that's another pet obfuscation atheists peddle.
And thusly I now propose a new way of categorising philosophical positions regarding the existence, or otherwise, of a god or gods:
- Agnostics i.e. claiming to have not enough knowledge regarding the existence (or non-existence) of a god or gods in order to form a scientificaly or logically consistent opinion on the subject
- True Believers in the existence (or non-existence) of a god or gods - also known as Bigots.
- Idiots and Liars.
Please have a bit of a think about this and let me know in which category you think you belong...