Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Friday, July 22, 2005

Jihad against negative people...

Ok, today we'll try to get our brains around The Big Topic. It's so big that only those with truly big brains (like mine for instance) should attempt it. The rest of you can sit on the sidelines, quietly playing with your toys, whilst your betters debate the issue. OK? Good.

The topic: Is it all mind over matter?

Today's rant will be an exploration, at the global level, along the lines of "if so, then what?" With a Yoda-like "Hmmmmm?" added for effect.

I first hinted at it here.

I woke up this morning wondering about all of my "negative", "doomsday" ramblings. And I wondered if the world would suddenly become "paradise" if we all became "positive". And two things struck me:

* It ain't going to happpen any time soon.

* Maybe it was just "negatives" like me who prevented it from happening.

So what stops us being "positive"? A thousand things. And they all have one thing in common: Each of them is caused by a fear of one kind or another. Fear stops us being "positive". And this is where we fall into the "whatever you do, don't think of blue camels" paradox.

So, in keeping with the first tenet of pseudo-enlightenment, I advocate the following steps be taken to "save" the world:

* Start the Church Of Positive Thinking.

* Condemn all negativity and fear.

* Blame all of the world's ills on negativity and fear.

* Avoid all negative and fearful people and if they don't shut up, kill them.

Oh... And try to remember... Fearing fear is where it all begins... Hmmmm?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gerry, you just reminded me of a lovely (English) acquaintance who floored me one day by saying that all anger was a secondary reaction, and not a true emotion at all.

His contention was that every urge to anger was first triggered by a genuine, albeit negative, emotion like fear or sadness. Ie. before you wanted to punch the lights out of the idiot driver in front of you, you initially felt a stab of mortal fear.

He figured that by recognizing and controlling the first emotion, he could gain control of the latter and not express anger. My son (aka 'Dune Messiah') expanded this theory by developing various techniques to 'manage' anger in his work with street kids through peer councelling (which he did from age 11-16!)... my special contribution to his work was to refine the 'humour' aspect of muting fear.

Ah yes... for fear is the mindkiller...

July 22, 2005 8:20 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Anan, your comment has prompted me too. Fear, anger, love, hate. I'll do a blogpost on how I think they relate to each other...

July 23, 2005 3:32 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Anan, I also meant to say that I think you son is a very special person. As to humour muting fear, about this I could still learn much. The whole idea of how to mute fear utterly escapes me. Indeed, I spend much of my time generating or exacerbating fear in self and others.

July 23, 2005 3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Gerry. DM wants to set up his own blog, and he will inevitably be exploring this topic in far better detail than i ever could.

I think the kid kinda surpassed me somewhere around age six.

July 23, 2005 5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========