Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

mad-dog protesters at G8 summit...

If you've been watching the news you'll have seen the mindless violence and vandalism carried out by some of the protesters at Gleneagles.

As someone who is very much anti-G8, I nevertheless am disgusted that these hoodlums (most of them masked) are destroying the legitimacy of the protests by their violent and criminal actions.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were agents provocateurs, but it's just as likely they were hard-core leftist loonies who achieve nothing except to undermine the credibility of more rational leftist politics with their violent and criminal behaviour.

They do not represent me.
.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Editor said...

I think you're asking me to do something I cannot do, Fox. I saw what I saw. I'm not naïve - I know they (the corporate media) like to focus on violence and yobboism. I know that there are groups inserted into protests to discredit the protesters and that they do exactly the sort of things I saw . I also know that there are groups of protesters who think violence, vandalism and disruption are the way to go and I believe it is these the media has a field day with.

And that's my point. If the protest organisers are not committed to nonviolence, and if they won't (or can't) build into their actions ways to identify trouble makers and ways to deal with them swiftly and effectively, then these protests will always be discredited by various interest groups and the media, and a huge chunk of the public which might have been impressed (and favourably influenced) by peaceful protests is instead disgusted with the violent and unruly conduct.

I know, that's what the corp media like to show, but if it's not happening, it can't be shown. And I don't buy the idea that the corp media is the only effective media, so if you're saying that there was this huge peaceful people power protest that somehow the mainstream media refused to show, could you tell me where I can go to see it in the alternative media?

In any case, I don't think the corp media is as one-sided as people like to make them out to be. I think if a protest is massive and mainly peaceful, then that would be portrayed by the corp media. e.g. the anti-war protests were mainly peaceful and that's how the corp media showed them to be.

July 07, 2005 10:01 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Nothing directly related to this post, Gerry, but I wanted to say hello. I thought you had stopped posting, or I would have been by again ages ago. Obviously I was mistaken, and (for once) I am delighted to be wrong.

July 07, 2005 10:59 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Thanks Jenni. Never believe a blogger when they say they're qutting. Most are addicted and therefore it isn't long before they're back.
I'm glad I haven't scared away from this blog with my anti-American rants. :-)

July 07, 2005 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When protesters get violent (or are seen to be!) they give the left a bad name for no good reason.

July 07, 2005 4:17 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

I agree with you , Guy. But many in the left are committed to the idea that vandalism, a stoush, or even outright killing "the enemy" is the way to go.

Even down at the trade union level you've got the Green Left Weekly actively talking up union thugs like Johnston. Whilst such goons are hailed as heroes, the nonviolence movement will dissociate itself with those people.

Seems like one has to have a very small brain to fail to grasp the huge power there is in peaceful methods. Advocating violence is Neanderthal as far as I'm concerned.

July 09, 2005 12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========