Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Saturday, September 25, 2004

global governance - part 1...

This is a mega-topic, so I think I'll deal with it in parts. This subject is much bigger than my inadequate level of erudition allows me to express, but I'll give it my best shot. As a global citizen, I must have my say...

Individual nations must be allowed to retain their sovereignty and be free to manage their own cultural matters without outside interference. Each nation must be free to choose it's own political and economic model.

But certain issues should be dealt with at the global level and therefore we need a global government and the UN is the best existing institution to fulfill that role but it needs to undergo drastic changes before it can be a true global government.

Membership should be on the basis of one representative per nation. No individual nation should have any veto powers. All principles of good democracy ought to apply to the internal operations of this body.

It's scope should be limited to three areas: Environmental Policy, Human Rights and National Rights. In these areas, however, the UN must have over-ruling authority and the ability to enforce compliance upon individual nations if it is deemed necessary.

(That will do for now. Next, I'll rant in more detail about each of these three areas.)

Postscript: In light of the comments made so far, I'm now in a quandry. Do I give up this line of thinking as naive and hopelessly inadequate or do I stumble blindly onwards? I think I'll pause for a while to ponder upon this while the war crimes continue...

4 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

"All principles of good democracy ought to apply to the internal operations of this body."
Yes, but they never will. One country, one vote means that there would be a hundred or so tiny impoverished countries whose vote will be bought by rich countries just as, for example, Japan has bought the votes of a dozen countries (some of them land-locked) so as to get its (no apostrophe) way on whaling.
I fear your proposals are rather like the philosophy of the awful Moral Re-armament Group: "If everyone was nice to everyone else then the world would be a better place". Possibly true, but unhelpful.
Still, that's better than the 1950s "All you need is love", which is untrue and harmful.

September 25, 2004 9:44 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Ok, Tony. Have you got a better idea? Or shouldn't we even try to grapple with these issues because it's all hopeless and futile? Is it all too difficult? Are things hunky dory the way they are? Are you going to say "it (the status quo) may not be perfect, but it's the best we've got"? I'd like to know where you're coming from.

September 25, 2004 10:37 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

No. Yes we should try. No. No. No.
All the best, and farewell.
Tony

September 25, 2004 10:45 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Sorry if I've somehow offended you. Cheers.

September 25, 2004 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========