Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Monday, May 01, 2006

for Ron...

Why? Because he might get a giggle out of this...

It started with my spotting E. Annie Proulx's book The Shipping News on my partner's grandmother's bookshelf. So I blurted out that I had seen the fillum, hoping to impress. It didn't work. I was told the book ran rings around the fillum. As usual...

So, that's how come I'm now reading the book...

Then, tonight, I was talking with my partner about Annie (as you do) and I mused about how her name (Proulx) would be pronounced. I offered "Prool" (silent x). She cautiously avoided having an opinion. Later tonight, after talking with her father on the phone, she reported that her father pronounced the name as "Proolay". Now, with this I had a HUGE problem...

So, I was off to the internet... I typed "Annie Proulx" into Google, and predictably, the first hit was annieproulx.com, Annie's own website. And there, in the FAQ's, was the answer, from Annie, to the question about the correct pronunciation of her name...

It's "Proo". It's official...

Go there, her bio is worth a read, as is her "about Brokeback Mountain" article, as is the whole website. Go there, you will amaze your friends, about your depth of knowledge of Edna A. Proulx, at the next dinner party...

(I hope she forgives me this...)

5 Comments:

Blogger Davoh said...

Brilliant writer, Annie 'Proo'.

May 01, 2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger Link said...

I did both fillum and book, not in that order. Those cold New Foundland descriptions really enchant my soul. But in defence of the fillum, none better was the scene of Judy Dench in the outhouse putting her brothers ashes were they deserved to be most. Also the house, was captured well in the flim. Gee I hope I've got the right film??

May 02, 2006 9:33 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Due to my depression, I find reading very slow going these days. One or two pages and my attention span is spent. Used to be able to read a book in one sitting if it grabbed me. Blogging is just as difficult at the moment.

But I'm hooked on this book. "Hive-spangled, gut roaring with gas and cramp, he survived childhood;" I know I will never be able to write anything as stunning as that... Envy is a mongrel of an emotion, isn't it?

Wonder what gives rise to envy... But I digress... "Proo" is great.

She'd probably kill us for mucking about with her name like this...

May 02, 2006 12:32 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Ron, seems we have very similar problems regarding reading and blogging. But... For me, I feel I need to maintain my rage, lest I become complacent, or worse, give in totally to depression.

The way I see it, anger and rage are higher emotions than depression and therefore, getting angry, or raging, is actually somehow a way out of the slough of despair. Blogging is about the only good way to express my anger.

My big problem is more about actually finding the right words to fully express what I feel. Often I get depressed at my inability to adequately express myself.

May 02, 2006 10:41 PM  
Blogger JahTeh said...

'Often I get depressed at my inability to adequately express myself'. Why don't you just swear like the rest of us?

May 03, 2006 11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========