Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Thursday, September 15, 2005

don't leave it too late...

Time for a bit of a reminder...

He was a German. He was a WWI veteran. He spoke out against Hitler. He was incarcerated in Sachsenhausen and Dachau concentration camps for his trouble.
Martin Niemöller then spent much of the remainder of his life warning people against leaving it too late to tackle those who would tamper with our civil liberties:

In Germany they first came for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me —
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

His words are chillingly relevant to what is happening in Australia at this very point in time.

When will you speak out against what's going on in this country?

And if not yet, then when?

When it affects you personally?

By then it will be too late. Way too late...

So, when will you speak out?
.

1 Comments:

Blogger GreenSmile said...

The Boston Holocaust memorial, a widened section of sidewalk with six glass towers each bearing a million etched numbers has a plaque at its entrance with Neimoller's words.

We still have a large majority in the US who would say you were nuts to lable the Bush league fascist or proto-fascist but I take heart in the character and experience of the minority who are ready to call it what it is.

What is it about fascism that lets it creep up on an otherwise civil society?

October 01, 2005 4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========