Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas

I have trouble with Christmas.  I am not a Christian.  I am an agnostic with atheistic leanings who thinks Jesus was a dissident Jewish rabbi and brilliant spiritual teacher who got crucified for upsetting the religeo-political apple cart.  I'm quite impressed by his Sermon on the Mount, but that's about it.  Let's move on, folks.

However, this time of year, every year, I am bombarded with "Merry Christmas" wishes, mostly from people who aren't all that Christian either.  Certainly their ability (or willingness) to live according to the Nazarene's teachings seems to be as dismal as mine.

We are told by merchants that if we don't buy enough food and crap to facilitate this orgy of celebration, the economy will collapse.  Governments have even refunded some of the taxes they had collected (for building better health services and roads etc), in order to encourage us to go keep the merchants and their underpaid staff from slashing their wrists.

I'll tell you how bad it's gotten!  In commenting on the previous post, Vesty wished me a merry Christmas.  And now, because social convention demands it, and because I genuinely wish him well, I have no option but to respond with:  "Merry Christmas Vesty !!!"

Bah!  Humbug!

Merry Christmas, readers.  Have a good one !!!   You too, Vesty!   :-))))

3 Comments:

Blogger Vest said...

Gerry; how caring of you. Your agnostic leanings cannot disguise those latent Christian principles you display.
*Merry Xmas to you and all your readers.
Ah now I remember where I first read* that message. Went like, One would think with all this wit that Shakespeare had been here to sit.

December 19, 2012 11:24 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

You're too kind, Vesty, but I would challenge the view that my principles, such as they are, are exclusively Christian.

And anyway, I do not believe Jesus was the Christ i.e. the Messiah, ergo I would say "Jesuist" principles rather than "Christian" principles.

The Christians were the guys who happily waged those bloody mass murderous crusades, remember? I want nothing whatsoever to do with those shysters.

December 19, 2012 8:36 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Adding to the previous comment, the following links may explain my use of the term "jesuist":

[1] http://jcarlinsv.blogspot.com.au/2008/11/why-jesuist.html

[2] http://jesuism.blogspot.com.au/2008/10/warriors-for-jesus.html

December 21, 2012 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========