Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Thursday, May 17, 2007

an apology...

In the past, on this blog, I have made a couple of derogatory comments about S11, a protest coalition which protested at the 2000 World Economic Forum in Melbourne, accusing them of being undisciplined, violent, young hotheads. I wish to now correct this perception.

Today I attended a screening of a documentary about that S11 protest, at the University of Western Sydney. After watching the documentary and discussing my previous perception with some of the protesters who were there, I need to now share with you that I have reviewed my opinion of this group entirely.

I find that S11, as a group, were extraordinarily restrained and committed to non-violence during that protest. I have to admit that my original opinion had been informed by the distorted and unfair coverage S11 received in the mainstream media.

I hope this repairs any damage my comments may have done to S11's reputation.

There... I feel a whole lot better now...

11 Comments:

Blogger phil said...

"The truth will set you free."

Somebody must have said that sometime.

Hey, welcome back 'an all.

May 19, 2007 4:39 PM  
Blogger hip said...

Hi Jerry, good to see your hernia is on the mend... :o)

You probably got blindsided by Aunty or SBS, they all jumped on board with the usual Murdock suspects. Anti-capitalism is just one "ism" too far for the suits, I suspect.

And, I swiped your "Elmer Rudd" handle 'caus it's a bloody gem. There, now I feel liberated, too.

May 20, 2007 4:16 AM  
Blogger GreenSmile said...

Who are you? Apologies were not exactly in character for the Gerry we all dread and love.

[jus' kidding. Seriously, I'd pray to god if that would make some of my country's leaders get into the apologizing mode. For some of us being right is an accident we may not even recognize, for others, its a permanent entitlement.]

May 24, 2007 8:55 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

I just replied to each of you who have commented here so far, but Blogger ate my comments, so, thanks to Blogger, I've now got the shits. I can't be bothered trying to recreate what I said. I'm giving up in disgust! Sorry...

May 26, 2007 11:42 PM  
Blogger JahTeh said...

It's now June, get your furry arse out of hibernation and start blogging, it's Spring somewhere in the world.

June 02, 2007 2:42 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

JahTeh, nowhere in the world is June in Spring...

And I am indeed getting close to posting something. Probably won't be worth reading though...

June 02, 2007 10:45 PM  
Blogger phil said...

We will be the deciderers-in-chief of whether it's worth reading (and, of course, the circumstances in which it is read). Get those fingers tappin'...

June 03, 2007 12:02 PM  
Blogger Ann ODyne said...

Good Onya mate - it takes guts to revise an opinion, and we should all mistrust the MainStreamMedia.

Perfect example of why this is so: This weeks reporting of the Cops and the Indonesian in the hotel.
All the headlines said the cops burst in on him.

Wasn't true. They rang and knocked and rang and rang and knocked and got no answer, before the hotel manager used HIS key to open up.
Thousands of readers who didn't persist, now have a distorted view of what actually happened, just like at the S11 protest.

peace and love to you, as always ...

June 03, 2007 7:33 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Phil, thanks for the encouragement.

BWCA, thanks. Do I know you? HB perhaps?

Anyway, one good thing about letting a blog run down is that you find out who your _real_ readers are. Thanks to you all, you know who you are.

June 04, 2007 12:06 PM  
Blogger phil said...

Gerry, there's actually very few blogs I read regularly. I was just reading some intro lines out of the OzPolitics feed aloud to Mrs VVB and when I came to "A western heart" she says "just don't read it then."

She right, of course, except for Sun Tzu and "know your enemy."

There's more than a little danger in sticking to the like-minded ("vast left wing echo chamber") parts of the blogosphere, but the soul needs rest and reinforcement with all things that are good and decent. Which your scribblings provide in spades.

June 04, 2007 6:48 PM  
Blogger Ann ODyne said...

hb has gone to ground.
For
'forces of evil'
read
'forces of google'.

it's dangerous out there people, take care to never spell names correctly.

Do you recall that Brownie posting several times about BAESystems making all the bombs that kill Iraquis and 150 british troops and 3000 Yanks?
Vindication has come in the form of todays news about them paying some Sheik a Zillion dollars (like our wheat board kickbacks. as if the sheiks need a buck).
peace and love to ya BearMan

June 08, 2007 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========