Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Friday, November 03, 2006

anxiety dump #061103

Can't sleep. Got so much crap rattling around in my head. Thought I'd blog it out of my system. So here goes:

I haven't had a drink in four days and I feel more depressed than ever. I don't crave a drink, I'm just depressed. I'm not sure the anti-depressant I'm on is doing me any good. Whilst it is true that my depressive periods are less frequent now, they seem to be more "solid", more "real". I feel I'm more likely to follow through and actually end it all. But between these bouts I do feel "better". That means I just couldn't give a hoot about anything.

Politics/Religion:

Here in Sydney we've got a Muslim Mufti who's recently been reported in the media as having said that women who dress "revealingly" are inviting rape. We also have an Imam who is on record as having said the same sort of thing. If this represents typical Muslim attitudes towards women and rape, then I would gladly support the immediate expulsion of every Muslim from Austraila. If this is not a typical Muslim view, but an isolated, extreme view, then I expect the moderate Muslims here (if there are indeed any) to come forward immediately to loudly and emphatically denounce these lunatics as not representing mainstream Muslim views on such matters. Stand up and be counted or get out of my country! This is totally unacceptable!

And another thing: I'm heartily sick of people who have a gripe with America, or the West generally, or globalisation, engaging in terrorism or violent reaction as their chosen way of dealing with their greivances. I denounce utterly what America, Israel and globalisation are doing, but I equally do not support violent resistance/reaction as a means of solving the problems. Two wrongs do not make a right. There has to be a better way, and I think massive Peaceful People Power protests and non-violent uprisings are the only way to beat the bastards without becoming a bastard yourself. And the bastards really cannot sustain suppressive action against such protests without being seen to be repressive, murderous, anti-democratic, and downright evil. I cannot understand why the organisers of the various resistance movements cannot get their brains around the fact that Peaceful People Power is not only the most legitimate form of resistance, but also the most powerful and effective. It's like they'd rather kill (and be killed) than win in their struggle for justice.

In the news the big noise is Nicholas Stern's stern warning about global warming and the huge economic devastation (read The Mother Of All Depressions) awaiting us if we do not fix the problem in the next ten years. Finally the political arseholes running this country are starting to address the problem, but in a way that will achieve way too little, way too late. This does not even factor in the economic effects of Peak Oil which many predict will, collectively, spell economic disaster within ten years (some tipping as early as three).

There's lots and lots more, but this'll do for now.

6 Comments:

Blogger GreenSmile said...

With a load of very real s..t like that at our doorsteps, depression would seem like a perfectly reasonable emotional state, even an unavoidable state, to be in.

You aren't doing much to support your presentation of craziness here your bearship: you are however in full grip of the pain of the sane. The "what me worry?" types are the crazy bastards.

November 03, 2006 3:46 AM  
Blogger Kurt Reply said...

Bear for PM

November 03, 2006 10:54 AM  
Blogger Kurt Reply said...

Hi, Gerry. I just spent the better part of the evening reading something that was quite encouraging: a discussion two years ago between E.O.Wilson, entomologist, and Daniel Dennett, philosopher. I found it via Pharyngula, via a current article on Wilson in Seed Magazine. Anyway, given some of the things you like to ponder, I thought you might like to know about this discussion. I especially liked the last bit when they expressed enjoyment and appreciation for each other's participation in the discussion, and even to me, the world's greatest pessimist, it does end on a rather hopeful note.
http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2006/10/eo_wilson_daniel_dennett.php?page=1
And here is the original Seed Magazine article that led me there
http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2006/10/the_synthesizer.php?page=1
That EOWilson is a real hero.

November 03, 2006 3:11 PM  
Blogger JahTeh said...

The PM's really into the oil shortage now and the gov's nucular experts have pinpointed 5 sites in Victoria for possible power stations.

Dr. Clarence Hardy said "When coastal properties are threatened because of rising seawater levels, then people might want to invest in nuclear power."

I live near the sea and I don't want a power station so stick it in the rodent's backyard.

I bet you've only given up drinking the cheap crap and sneaking the merlot in undercover.

November 04, 2006 7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, its better a bear with a sore head than one that is disheveled through too much political/religious thought!

With regard to the comment about the muslim mufti. I can understand how outsiders view the western ways.
To ivite rape.....no way. But dressing up the way westerners do and rubbing our bodies in mens faces(I have been quilty of that, dressing as we do is afterall sexual signalling!)
It most certainly is a taunting that men can sometimes not control,due to their biology.
I think he was mis-quoted and mis-interpreted, personally, and I don't know anything about him. But Ive been known to be wrong.

Zoe xx
( I do hope you feel better soon, been feeling like an 'out' myself of late....rememeber that its cyclic and hang in there ok!)

November 07, 2006 12:07 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

GS, if my pain comes from being sane, then I hope I go nuts soon.

Kurt, I've had a brief look at the article you mention and they look interesting, but I need to be in the right frame of mind to redd two 11 page articles, and right now is not that time. Me for PM? Hell no! I'll take nothing less than the title of Dictator of Australia, thank you very much! ;-)

JahTeh, if the rising sea levels happen, LOTS of people will be in deep shit. In Al Gore's book An Inconvenient Truth, he points out that 60 million Bangladeshi and Indian people willl be made homeless.

Zoe, I've sworn off the demon drink. Kurt made me do it ;-) About the Mufti's teaching and your very astute comment, stand by for a new blogpost tomorrow-ish (if I can get out of the slouch of despair.) Thanks for your kind wishes, and yeah, knowing it's just a phase is often the only thing that pulls me through. That and my very understanding, caring, loving partner. I'm sure she's in line for saithood.

November 07, 2006 12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========