Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Monday, June 26, 2006

shane howard... you legend...

Just finished watching Australian Story on ABC-TV.

They featured Shane Howard. You know... Goanna... Solid Rock...

Yeah...

That song never fails to either make me cry or make me so angry I want to smash something.

Speaking about how he came to write the lyrics of Solid Rock, Shane spoke of a time he was out near Uluru, and he said "In a big landscape you can think big thoughts"

And that made me think of something Link said. I have hunted high and low but I can't find where she said it. You there, Link?

2 Comments:

Blogger Link said...

Yeah, one of my 'theories', ie the geography of a place translates to its inhabitant's psychology. So Australians have lots of empty space in their heads, whereas the Brits for instance, have minds more densely packed. Either, for better or for worse. There is also another idea (not a theory of mine) that if you're born in Australia your soul gets Aboriginalised, giving you an inherent sort of 'gone on walkabout' she'll be right, no wukkers etc type mentality, also translated as the famous Australian apathy or our laid back, Zen like, laconic style.

I think theres' something in it. Australians seem generally less hyeterical or excitable when compared to many of our worldy neighbours with whom we could reasonably draw comparisons, ie the Yanks and the Brits.

Its a great song. (BTW) Same era as Great Southern Land which I find inspiring too.

My ideal lifestyle would be to spend 6 months of the year in the northern hemishpere, 3 months in Old Blighty and 3 in some country where I could hear the call to prayer, (but not be shot at or kidnapped.) and 6 months down here. As Pop Larkin would say: "Perfick".

June 26, 2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

the famous Australian apathy or our laid back, Zen like, laconic style.

As the first Patriarch (you'd have to love that term, Link) of Dai Ippo Zen, I can authoritatively inform you that there is nothing "Zen like" about your average Ausiie bogan (or for that matter, about your average Aussie chardonnay-swilling, pseudo-laconic, angst-ridden (in denial), middle class, "aspirational" Labor-voting, capitalism-loving, planet-fucking, modernist wanker!!!!!!)

Australians seem generally less hyeterical or excitable when compared to many of our worldy neighbours

Yeah, Link, and a koala zonked out on eucalyptus oil is enlightened... Right...

My ideal lifestyle would be to spend 6 months of the year in the northern hemishpere, 3 months in Old Blighty and 3 in some country where I could hear the call to prayer, (but not be shot at or kidnapped.) and 6 months down here.

Yeah, the whole world can live like that... VERY sustainable...

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
George Orwell... Animal Farm...

Of course, I will soon be accused of being guilty of the neo-crime called "being an anti-aspirational"...

Yuze can all get fucked...

June 28, 2006 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========