Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Thursday, June 22, 2006

dead donkey...

A hillbilly called Kenny moved to Texas and bought a donkey from a farmer for
$100.00. The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next day.

The following day the farmer drove up and said, "Sorry, son, but I have
some bad news. The donkey died."

Kenny replied, "Well then, just give me back my money.

The farmer said, I'm sorry, I can't do that. I spent it.

Kenny said, "OK. Just bring me the dead donkey."

The farmer asked, "What are you going to do with him?"

Kenny answered, "I"m going to raffle him off."

The farmer said "You can't raffle off a dead donkey!"

Kenny responded "Sure I can. I just won't tell anybody he's dead."

A month later the farmer met up with Kenny and asked, "What happened with
that dead donkey?"

Kenny answered, "I raffled him off. I sold 500 tickets at two dollars
apiece and made a profit of $998.00."

The farmer asked, "Did anyone complain?"

Kenny said, "Just the guy who won, so I gave him back his two dollars."

Kenny grew up and eventually became the chairman of a corporate giant.

(Compliments of Mike B.)

10 Comments:

Blogger Link said...

Raffles conducted by individual are illegal in ths country, right? Why? Is it because there is no way the government can tax us on them? I met a guy on the island of Rhodes, Micas. Micas used to get a whole fish on credit from the fishmonger and then go to the neighbouring village and raffle it to the Greek equivalent of blokes in the pub. He'd then come back and pay the fishmonger. This is how he made a living in the face of no social securityh and no employment prospects. Pretty resourceful I would'a thought. Imagine the bonanza if we'd all share in if we could raffle things. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Ploise explain.

June 23, 2006 1:51 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

It's as you said, Link. A raffle is a lottery. It's gambling. You can't allow gambling unless the govenment or the big guys make a quid out of it.

The little guy making a quid without someone up the food chain getting their cut? Dream on, girl!

You've reminded me of this post >>>

June 23, 2006 5:25 AM  
Blogger Link said...

Thanks for the link to the old post, someone WSRN also told me this clever story, its a good 'un. Undoubtedly he'd read it here.

June 23, 2006 10:24 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

That story is all over the internet. Mostly it's about a Mexican fisherman, rather than a Greek.

June 23, 2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger JahTeh said...

Why does this sound like John Howard's election strategy?

June 23, 2006 4:20 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

I don't think it is, JahTeh. There's no money in raffling off Alexander Downer...

June 23, 2006 4:29 PM  
Blogger phil said...

Stop that Gerry, that is just too distressing an image (I just imagined a couple of blokes carting a tray around the club on Friday, which has a Downer with an apple in his mouth on it).

I met him a few times in 1974. Bleieve it or not, he has improved...sort of.

June 23, 2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Phil, Downer represents for me, everything that is wrong with private school education...

June 23, 2006 8:39 PM  
Blogger Davoh said...

Am waiting (but not holding breath) for the day when schools get allocated billions from the budget .. and the Army, Navy and Airforce have to hold chook raffles to buy new equipment .. heh.

June 23, 2006 9:37 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Davo, private schools already do. The poor paying for the education of the rich. Ain't capitalism great?

June 24, 2006 7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========