Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

on using plain english...

Communication... What is the intent of our way of communicating? That's what I'm on about here. To highlight the issue, I'll identify three types of communicator:

The Plain Speaker: Intends to be understood by as wide a spectrum of people as possible.

The Intellectual Snob: Intends to exclude "the uneducated" or put himself above his readers/listeners by using big words like some sort of code intended only for the illuminati (sorry for the big word here, but if you don't understand it, you can piss off!).

The Obfuscator: Uses big words to confuse or to avoid having his arguments or statements challenged. The obfuscator is often an intellectual snob trying to get away with a bit of intellectual dishonesty rather than admit his error in logic.

Both here in the blogosphere and at cocktail parties, Plain Speakers are a rarity, vastly outnumbered by Intellectual Snobs and Obfuscators. When forced into "polite" conversation with such low-life, Intellectual Snobs and Obfuscators will quickly put Plain Speakers in their place and thereby quite rightly silence them.

Have you noticed this?

Is it any wonder I'm so hostile?

And then they say, "You're hostile, Gerry. Calm down or we won't talk with you."

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Update: A new species has been identified:

The Sycophant: Pores over dictionaries and all sorts of "authoritative" texts and websites, and hangs on every word The Intellectual Snob utters, in order to "learn the lingo" well enough to impress the pants off his hero. He's the guy who almost throws his neck out nodding enthusiastically every time The Snob speaks.

Late Update: Expert opinion just obtained by this blogger indicates that an incredibly large percentage of Intellectual Snobs adopt the arrogant and superior stance they do as a result of subconscious overcompensation for a huge undiagnosed inferiority complex.

Makes perfect sense to me...

11 Comments:

Blogger Link said...

Growing up and growing old is a complicated business when it comes to 'communicating' to a broad range of people.

I like what Tom Lehrer has to say on the subject "If you cannot communicate the very least you can do is to shut up about it".

Gerry I'm angry too--when I think about 'it' ie the world and the people in it and what a monunumental fuck up it is, but when I don't think, ie when I put my self in my feeling centre, I'm actually quite at peace.

Its a fucking dilemma because whether its of value or not I always end up thinking. You know the one. I have a 'thinking' problem.

June 14, 2006 8:20 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

"If you cannot communicate the very least you can do is to shut up about it".

So I should just shut the f*ck up, Link? Nobody, and I mean NOBODY is going to get that lucky...

Ranting and raging is all I have left. Even that will soon be declared a sectionable mental illness and then they'll round me up and sedate me.

Anyhow, I'm surprised you're still reading this horrible blog. There are much nicer ones...

when I put my self in my feeling centre, I'm actually quite at peace.

I have no handle on the reality you describe.

About your 'thinking' problem... Whatever you do, don't think of blue camels. And make a mental note Link: "I must not obsess about blue camels during the next 24 hours." Let me know how you go..

June 14, 2006 10:07 AM  
Blogger GreenSmile said...

I am not sui generis. But you might add a category for me: just plain bad at English. You know, one of those poor souls who tends to get lost long before he gets to the period.

June 14, 2006 12:17 PM  
Blogger Mike Ballard said...

I try, but sometimes phrases like "cui bono" (who benefits) slip off my tongue.

June 14, 2006 1:22 PM  
Blogger JahTeh said...

What's the category for people who swear a lot? (shit shovellers?)

I think you communicate very well, it's the dills who aren't listening that's the problem.

And don't put me in that category, I do listen, sometimes it just dribbles out the other ear.

June 14, 2006 2:38 PM  
Blogger phil said...

I just like polysyllabics. In fact, more than just 'like', I am enormously enamoured of them. I opne my yap, they just come out. Is there a category - no, a type -for that?

June 15, 2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

I think they'd be called polysyllabophiles, Phil...

Or Queenslanders... ;-)

June 15, 2006 8:31 PM  
Blogger Nora said...

well pointed out. that's so funny. cus it's so true.

June 16, 2006 10:21 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Thanks, Nora.

I'm still having trouble getting atheists to see that they are, by and large, intellectual snobs.

Of course, you may not be so happy in knowing that I also lump them in with another species known as Religious Fanatics.

No offence intended towards you, Nora, but given the amount of offence athiests and other religious fanatics dish out to those of a different belief, I don't care if they get offended. I just call that quid pro quo. It is to them I say, "Offence freely given to those who wish to take it."

Shoot all extremists, I say... :-)

June 16, 2006 12:47 PM  
Blogger phil said...

Listen, about these Queenslander jokes. I was born in Dubbo, hence I support the Blues which has got me into shitloads of trouble of many and various kinds ever since we moved here in 1996. Including a former Minister who wanted to throw me off the government jet...

June 16, 2006 10:05 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Phil, quit while you're ahead... ;-)

You don't want to hear my Dubbo jokes...

Believe me...

June 17, 2006 12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========