Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

australian opinion...

Fellow Blue Mountains Blogger, Ron of Mountain Murmurs fame, has started a blewsgroup (a cross between a blog and a you-must-register-to-play newsgroup thingie) called Australian Opinion. I don't like the concept, but I do like the content, so I guess I'll be sandbagging it...

The title got me thinking...

What's an Australian opinion?

What's an Australian?

What's un-Australian?

Who defines what's un-Australian?

What does "jingoism" mean and what has this to do with commonly held beliefs about what it is to be Australian?

As a wannabe leftie I think of myself as an meta-nationalist; a citizen of the world; a person thinking beyond the concepts of a national identity.

So help me out with this Orstrayan thingie, dudes and dudettes, gimme yer Orstrayan opinion, furfuxake, cos I'm stuck here...

Flummoxed, in fact...

UPDATE: Ron has sold the domain name "Australian Opinion" for megabucks and has left the country. Full story here >>>
.

10 Comments:

Blogger The Editor said...

Ah, Ronnie, there's the rub...

If I want Brownie's opinion, the best place to find it is on Brownie's blog. If I want Deirdre's opinion, the best place to find it is on Deirdre's blog. ditto Barista's, etc.,etc.

And we cross-pollentate each others' blogs with our comments, but if these people did not have their own blogs, I could only find their opinions on Australian Opinion. I never did like centralist thinking.

I still argue that one of the reasons for the popularity of blogs is the individual creativity and freedom they allow and also that people were sick of belonging only to echoes, newsgroups, or email forums or lists.

I actually think that rather than individual blogs becoming obsolete, people will have individual blogs and they will also join group blogs if they so desire.

Do you really think most members of Ron's Salon will eventually give up their individual blogs? I don't think so. Salon hosting was always such an upper class thing to do. We true-blue bloggers are way too déclassé to be frequenting salons, Ron. :-)

What's happened to the gravatars? Dunno. Same thing as my cookies I guess. I think there are some rats loose down in the sewers of WinXP. I may need to hire a rat catcher but I don't have the money.

"Bandaged bear" ??? Nah, look again, it's a strait jacket. So you may address me by my proper name of "Crazy Bear" thank you, Ron. :-)

May 17, 2005 10:34 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

No, I was at home, where all good recluses belong. I don't have laptop hooked up to a mobile phone, but you obviously do... :-)

May 17, 2005 11:40 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

You can get wireless BB up at Katoomba? Bloody 'ell! That means I could prolly get it here... I'll talk with the one who loves me... Are you reading this Suki? (Oops, the last two sentences should be kept distinctly separate... :-)

May 17, 2005 12:02 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

We were once nearly just good friends... No, really, Ron, nearly, just good friends... :-)

And then I said something which I think must have annoyed her...

Life is tragic...

May 17, 2005 1:26 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Well, I hope you know me well enough by now not to worry too much about anything I say.

May 17, 2005 8:46 PM  
Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

ah was jez thinkin about a different type of blog salon - members only - checkout the end of fluffyasacat blogspot where the password protected 'jewish bloggers' live.
would this work for those of us who might feel better if we could discuss our black dogs with people who DON'T say 'oh but you can't possibly mean that'.

May 22, 2005 9:52 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Brownie, yes, I think topic-specific blogs, lists, formums are best run along moderated/passsworded lines.

I was merely commenting here about group blogs vs individual blogs and postulating the idea that group blogs will not replace individual blogs no matter how popular group blogs become.

One problem that seems to be emerging is the threat of capitalism. It seems the moneyed gentry keep buying up the domain names of group blogs. It's a conspiracy, I tell you, Brownie. A conspiracy. Murdoch is taking over the blogosphere! :-)

May 23, 2005 8:04 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Sorry guys, comments mentioning the town in which I reside will from now on get deleted. Now security policy. There are angry rednecks out there after my blood it seems.

June 17, 2005 9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noted Jerry about location , My neck is a pale brownish pink last time I looked and I am enjoying morning sun at the foot of the mountains at this moment. I am so thankful I work from home on days like this. Soon the hour is fast approaching when I will have to go face the growing mess of construction down the road near Austpost Great rates for June on PO boxes.

June 17, 2005 9:51 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

c-a-s,dotcom. What a cryptic name. The suspense is driving me nuts. Who ARE you? :-) Are you an engineer? Are you talking about the M4/M7 interchange? Oh, and the name's Gerry, that's Gerry with a 'G'. :-) Feel free to comment on any issues I rant about. I need a good debate. No one wants to debate with me. I must have blogger's breath or something. It's so sad....

June 17, 2005 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========