Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Monday, March 07, 2005

consumer power...

The following post started life as a comment I made in the previous post. I've expanded it and made it a separate post because of its different subject matter but also because I'm not sure how many people actually read the comments. If what I'm doing is irritating, please let me know.

I think the consumer's power is immense. If we get organised we can control what goods and services will succeed/fail.

The consumers can even crash the global economy. And I think the sooner the economy is crashed, the better. Yes, sadly, millions would starve, but if it isn't brought to its knees soon and a whole new social system (not ruled by shareholder power) is invented, if this murderous, rapacious global capitalism is allowed to run its course, millions will be killed in trade-driven wars and subsequently the planet will be trashed by the time this system implodes as it eventually must in the not too distant future IMHO, and then BILLIONS will die. The ruling elite won't give a toss.

It will literally hit our grandchildren. So, the options, as I see them, are (1) we put ourselves into voluntary hardship now via a consumer-driven revolution and maybe even die of starvation, but set the scene for a new socio-economic system to evolve, or (2) we fuck our grandchildren and their whole world, bigtime.

But I'm only depressing myself with these nightmarish scenarios.

Everybody is too busy having one more party and convincing themselves that "tomorrow" some magic answer will be found or that God will save His children. Yeah right. We're going all the way to the end of the line.

I can hear their cries now.. "God, why hast thou forsaken us?" Of course their priests will convince them that it is punishment for the sins of their grandfathers and in a way that will be utterly true. Such is the nature of cause and effect that the ignorant and superstitious mistake it for the hand of a God who doesn't even exist. Hallelujah...

Yeah, I know I'm ranting. Disturbed minds do that... [/rant]

1 Comments:

Blogger The Editor said...

So you don't think turning comments into posts is annoying to those who've already read the comment?

I guess it depends on how many people actually bother to read comments. I would imagine that regular readers read comments and the itinerant traffic probably just skims the posts. That's why I thought regular readers might get annoyed.

About consumer power: I think it's dynamite. Consumerism is a double'edged sword. It's demand driven. Sure they try to artificially create demand but ultimately we control the market. If we don't buy it, they'll stop making/doing it.

The problem is the manipulatability and greed inherent in human beings. And so we get the products and services we deserve. Very democratic. This is why democracy is so essential to the "free" market. It's the greatest con of all time.

And the people wouldn't have it any other way. The shysters are laughing their heads off.

March 09, 2005 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========