Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Saturday, March 05, 2005

the devil made me do it...

Did I do it? And if I did it, am I responsible?

Am I cause or am I effect?

If I'm effect, then who/what made me do it? Society? My upbringing? My socio-economic circumstances? A chemical? The absence of a chemical? My genes, My friends? My partner? My shrink? God? The devil? A voice in my head? You? Did you make me do it? Who made me do it? Who's responsible?

What's my point? Well I'm getting dizzy trying to figure out who was responsible for what.

Do we hold the driver of the stolen car being chased by police responsible for speeding, losing control, crashing, and killing his two friends, or do we hold the police responsible? Or is society responsible? Is the driver's socio-economic circumstance responsible. Who "made" him do it?

Was Osama responsible, or did the West make him do it? Are the Americans responsible or did Osama make them do it?

Is the Palestinian terrorist responsible or did the Israelis make him do it? Are the Israelis responsible or did the Palestinian terrorists make them do it?

Is John Howard responsible or did the Yanks, Big Business, the economy, God, et cetera, make him do it?

Can I go out and just go berserk and kill lots of people in a fit or rage and then blame Vietnam, or my mother, or you, for what I did?

I'm getting fucking sick of everyone blaming someone/something else for what happens!

Is there a buck, and if so, where does it stop?!?!

By now you've already answered most of these questions one way or another.

So, finally, I ask you, were you responsible for how you answered, or was it the books you've read, the courses you've done, the people you've listened to, the media, or are you a natural at discerning the Absolute Truth?

So many questions... So few bullets*...

*Note to Big Brother: This is not an incitement to armed rebellion, it is merely a figure of speech. Google the phrase "so few bullets" before you send in the clowns, ya fucking paranoid wankers!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooner or later we have to take responsibility for ourselves. The Macquarie Fields riot has no justification. NONE. Time to grow up.

March 05, 2005 12:47 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Ah, kyte, were you responsible for the comment you just made, or was it the books you've read, the courses you've done, the people you've listened to, the media, or are you a natural at discerning the Absolute Truth? ;-)

March 05, 2005 4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you're just being a PITA, Gerry. If i was paying attention to the books I've read and the people I associate with, I would not have made that comment. Ergo, its mine, all mine.

Gee. I must be a natural at discerning Absolute Truth.

March 06, 2005 11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Macquarie Fields is a symptom of a broader decline in the lives of so many Auistralians faced within this two tiered society. Does that give cops carte blanche? Is that the preferred solution to this problem of massive youth alientation? Maybe these kids should just rely on the democratic process and vote their problems away? Huh! Thats' the confidence they need. Theres' a poll on right there in Weriwa. So perhaps they should rely on that. That would bring them in from the cold. Democracy -- and the chance to vote for a real option in their lives from Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dum.

I'm sorry that progressive folk are confused about issues of blame. And Macquarie Fields is but the beginning of a much larger explosive response to the no-win situation so many are being forced into. So lets' also blame the Kooris in Redfern and the Murris on Palm Island as being totally to blame for their own actions of similar dispoutation and lets foegt that cops aren't maybe -- just "maybe" -- involved in the death of these very simialr "roit causes"..

March 06, 2005 12:27 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Anonymous, do me a favour, if you're going to comment here, sign off some sort of tag that'll enable me to tell which one of the Anons _you_ are. Helps me, helps you.

I did not refer to the riots at all. That'd have to be whole new post. I was asking who was responsible causing the deaths of those two kids. Wanna debate that?

Kyte. Me, a pain in the arse? Never! :-)

Can we really say which one of our ideas/attitudes/opinions is truly our own rather than the result of our childhood, parental influence, teachers, peer group, books, etc, etc. Surely the billions of inputs we've been subject to shape our thought. I can't really say what's truly my own or whether I've been influenced, conditioned to think that way. I wish I had your clarity and certainty...

March 06, 2005 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you really believe that it matters, Gerry, you probably would never express an opinion about anything, because maybe its not really yours. Reality: no opinion is truly ours. Does it matter?

its still time to grow up.

March 06, 2005 3:39 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

I'm nothing if not post-modern. I coined the tagline "Objectivity - an authoritarian myth." Reality is purely subjective. Objectivists are fascists.
To varying degrees we're all objectivists. Bugger. :-)

March 06, 2005 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========