Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Thursday, February 03, 2005

a trip into town...

It's funny how things unfold. Like order within chaos. I thought I'd brave going to the opening of the photo exhibition mentioned in an earlier post. It was a lefty affair and leaflets and the Green Left Weekly were being proffered.

Someone handed me a flyer for an event in March at which Stan Goff, a "US veteran, with a son in Iraq, and now a campaigner for the Bring Them Home Now! movement against the US occupation of Iraq" will be a keynote speaker. You can see why this got my attention...

Soon the venue was wall-to-wall with people milling around. It was still ten minutes before the official opening time when I got totally claustrophobic and I just had to get out of there. I spied a rear exit and left. In retrospect, I should have known this type of event was not for me but in a fit of bravado I had promised the organiser at a previous event that I would be there, and so I tried to keep that promise.

Now I was on the run in the back streets of Chippendale heading back towards Central Station feeling like an idiot (not an unusual feeling). Sanity gradually returned, my heart rate steadied and I got to Central relatively relaxed, but I noticed that I had made a few voluble utterances to no one in particular along the way. Oh well.

And so I never got to hear John Pilger speak.

Back home two hours later, I got on line and googled Stan Goff. In the process I came across a really groovy article the guy has written about how energy is driving things these days. It's a bit lengthy but well worth the read.

Ignore the fact that it was written last August in the run-up to the US elections and that it's aimed at giving John Kerry a bit of a tutorial. Just read it (unless of course you already fully understand the significance of energy as it relates to the irrepressible urge to go and kill thousands upon thousands of innocent people, using the world's very "best" weapons of mass "liberation".)

So here I am, much wiser for having googled...

I've finished the Cab Sav and found some Spätlese to finish the job. And now mellowness is.

Goodnight my little lovelies. I believe I can sleep now without bumping into the pistol-firing woman from last night's nighmare.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Stan Goff's piece; it really fits in well with my current read "Collapse - How Societies Choose to Fail or Suceed" by Jared Diamond. This is a must read even for my Aussie brothers & sisters as he's devoted a whole chapter to Australia. Between the book and Stan's article it's time to be afraid, VERY afraid!

DS

Sorry to piss on your parade.

February 04, 2005 12:49 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

DS, you're not pissing on my parade. As to Jared Diamond' book, I referred to it here on 12 January, but you need to click on the link in that post. And yeah, I think I'll want to read that book too. Thanks for reminding me.

February 04, 2005 5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The parade comment was directed to all those selfish, hummer-driving, arseholes out there (even though they probably don't visit this blog).

DS

February 05, 2005 9:31 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

They can visit, DS, but if they trot out any of their white supremacist, Yankee-supremacist, elitist, neanderthal redneck rhetoric, I hit the "delete" button.
Then they're gone... :-)

February 05, 2005 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on ya' mate!

DS

February 06, 2005 1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========