Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

anonymous asks a favour...

CS (Cynic Surfer), who regularly comments on this blog has asked me to put this request for information up here:
I need some help doing some research and I'm not clever enough. For several years I've been wanting to do a cost/benefit analysis to prove/disprove this generally accepted myth that we're the greatest nation on earth (I hate braggarts). What I'm looking for are things like health care, literacy, home ownership, life expectancy, etc. that most humans would reasonably expect to rank high among the world's "No. 1" nation. Those are the positives. I also want the negatives: murder rates, homelessness, divorce rates, infant mortality, etc. What I'm looking for are respectable studies, statistics, etc. showing comparisons among the richest countries. Some of this info is available through UN web sites, but not all and besides for scientific purposes it's better to have 2-3 sources. I was hoping maybe some of your clever bloggers could help. What do we do with it afterwards? Somehow use to dispel the myth of America being the greatest nation.
Any readers out there who can point him in the right direction for any of this stuff?
.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

Hmm...when I was at uni, we had statistics like this. I'll look through some of my old papers on my computer and see if I can come up with any resources that might be helpful.

February 01, 2005 3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the inputs, it's really helpfull.

DS

February 04, 2005 12:52 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Michael Parenti makes strong arguments against such myths. Try to get a copy of his book, Superpatriotism. I haven't read the book so I don't know what statistical and anecdotal evidence he supports his claims with, but there's no doubt that he offers a worthwhile perspective.

February 04, 2005 4:21 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Keep the inputs coming folks, I'm trying to subvert this dude into becoming a blogger. He's a natural. :-)

February 04, 2005 6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to become a blog master; however, right now I don't have the time to devote. I'm in the tedious process of home hunting. I've decided to drop out of the vicious rat race and quit contributing to this evil, capitalist, war mongering society!

DS

February 06, 2005 1:55 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Admirable ambition, DS. But I fear the game is stacked, rigged, fixed. And as hard as you try you will, in some way find yourself still contributing to this mess. But if you manage to minimise contribution, then that in itself is noble. Go for it, dude.

February 08, 2005 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========