Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Saturday, March 03, 2007

do you know what this is?



This creature is living in our garage, and I'd like to know what it is...

Postscript: If you've been reading the comments, you'll know that with Davo's help I've determined that it's a Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko. Well, here's a bit of synchronicity: My partner and I do a bit of volunteering with the local Bushcare group (she, because she's a wonderful person, I, because she cajoles me to go along as a form of therapy). Today, I came across a bumper sticker put out by this group and its logo is... yes... you guessed it... The Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko!!! I swear I was not aware of this before today... Spooky...

13 Comments:

Blogger phil said...

Judging by the bit on the end of the tail, I would hope it's a new kind of corkscrew...

March 03, 2007 7:25 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

[chuckle] Nah, this thing is very elusive, its eyes look like they're only good in the dark. The garage is dark 99% of the day. And when you open the door, it generally scarpers into the darkness. It's some form of lizard, I think. The image is not over-exposed - it really is quite pale, almost translucent. Again, I would say this is because it lives in the dark.

But what is it? Why has it chosen the garage? There is very little food there, and no water to speak of. So how it survives puzzles me as well.

It's about 12cm (4.5 inches) long.

Over to you, readers...

March 03, 2007 7:46 PM  
Blogger Davoh said...

it's a bloddy gecko, dingbat. Very nice to have around. Gobbles up all sorts of other (very small) creepy crawlies around the house. (for some reason the link to wikipedia hasn't worked, am a dill, sometimes)

March 03, 2007 11:08 PM  
Blogger Davoh said...

OK, rethink .. it looks like a species of gecko.

March 03, 2007 11:16 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Ok, Davo... To cut to the chase, you're saying that you're not really sure that you know what it is?

March 03, 2007 11:22 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Ok, you herpatological sleuths, it looks very similar to a Leaf Tail Gecko, but it's not quite right.

The tail is suffieciently different for it NOT to be a Leaf Tail.

Keep looking...

March 03, 2007 11:51 PM  
Blogger JahTeh said...

Good Heavens, ASIO has got its new bugging devices at last.

March 04, 2007 12:01 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Nah, JahTeh, it can't be an ASIO bug. It has clearly displayed intelligence.

March 04, 2007 12:06 AM  
Blogger Davoh said...

Nurture it, it's probably eaten all the ASIO bugs .. heh.

Gecko's have the ability to re-grow parts of their anatomy (gee, i wonder if we can find that bloody gene, could do with some more hair) and is probably what's happening with the tail. (but don't quote me .. heh)

March 04, 2007 5:41 PM  
Blogger Davoh said...

There are, by the looks of it, quite a number of sites dealing with gecko's. The reason I went a bit unsure is that most of the gecko's that have seen have round pad sort of things on their toes. But yeees, he sez cautiously, it looks like a
leaf tailed gecko

March 05, 2007 9:58 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Yep. I'm now 99.9% sure it's in fact a Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko.

March 05, 2007 4:10 PM  
Blogger GreenSmile said...

never seen one myself.

But I did once see a blue blog with the very same URL as this here one.

And you look good in blue, Gerry.

March 06, 2007 4:02 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

GS, I stuffed my template and things went Minima Blue till I re-installed a backup copy of the original template. Clever bloggers always have a template backup on tap. :-)

March 06, 2007 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========