Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Saturday, January 07, 2006

I've been infected by the virus virus...

It started innocently enough... in the previous post... with the idea that religions are virus-like... then it was mooted that memes are virus-like:
"Today, Virus is used ... as a metaphor for other parasitically-reproducing things, such as memes..."

Now, the word 'meme' can mean many things. Look it up. Don't make me explain it to you. Then get back here...

Now do you see what the problem is? Any idea, word or thought can be a meme. And memes are virus-like...

And now it's too late... You too are infected... Oh dear...

Whatever you do, don't think...

10 Comments:

Blogger JahTeh said...

Somewhere in my notes is an article from New Scientist about memes and a glossary of memes which you can get from Wikipedia. I'm still looking for the NS date for you and that email is running into Gone with the Wind length.

January 07, 2006 12:53 PM  
Blogger JahTeh said...

Okay, first article is not meme but about quorum sensing in bacteria which could work in relation to your last post. 'Make Peace not War' New scientist, Page 30, 4th January, 2003.

'The Golden Meme" New Scientist Page 41, 3rd August, 2002

Principia Cybernetica Web, Memetic Lexicon.

January 07, 2006 4:12 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Bloody hell, JahTeh, you're getting seriously scientific... Anything you can chuck my way will be thoroughly digested.

BTW, the links in this post have been changed to better point at what I'm trying to get at, so it migh be worth looking at them again.

January 07, 2006 6:20 PM  
Blogger George Breed said...

Gerry, I sit here chortling. Our minds seem similar, like an ouroborous, our thoughts swallow our thoughts until we are turned inside out, or is that outside in? Good to know of your existence.

January 07, 2006 7:31 PM  
Blogger Davoh said...

Thought transmission?? sounds more like a 'genetic' problem to me :)

January 07, 2006 8:27 PM  
Blogger GreenSmile said...

This all goes to illustrate why I said that Ideas you wrestle with are better than those you catch like a cold.

My friend Shokai was working on a faster-than-light mechanism for thought transmission but it suddenly dissapeared into the future when I turned it on. Never did trust automatic transmissions myself.

January 08, 2006 6:58 AM  
Blogger JahTeh said...

Jared Diamond's doco is showing on the ABC at the moment. Email on the way with another NS book review about war as a virus.

January 08, 2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

Hi Gerry - I followed your link to the definings of 'meme' replication; found blog title Typoglycemia and was amused again. dumbfoundry; bloggledygook, blogdorf goodman, blogfather. am very easily amused. damn good thing too. life is short.

January 09, 2006 11:36 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

George, good to see you here. Ourobos? You made me look that up! I hate it when I have to look up words! Good to know of your existence as well. If you don't drop in here REGULARLY, George, I'll know you're just one of those polite bastards I despise so much... ;-)

GreenSmile, I'm dead against catching ideas like a cold. I'm all for having one's sceptic's shield up at all times and only letting in ideas which have been vetted for being free of fallacies of logic...

Thought (and therefore telepathy) are WAY faster than the speed of light. Scientific materialism was Einstein's downfall... :-)

JahTeh, yeah, I'm taping all three episodes.

Brownie, trust you to wander off into uncharted territory... :-)

January 10, 2006 11:16 PM  
Blogger GreenSmile said...

Sorry to bother you Gerry. Play a game of Fetch with that black dog. Toss it a stick of dynamite.

If you get up in the morning feeling like nothing is interesting, at least try and explain why it was all intersting to you the day before.

Here is a review of a great thinker's take on religions as memes.

February 25, 2006 1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========