Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Friday, October 28, 2005

too nonviolent???

Recently I attempted, via the medium of email, to open up a debate with a prominent nonviolence trainer. Here's what I said to him:
I'm utterly frustrated with political activism/protest/dissent in this country. In particular those espousing nonviolence.

One aspect of this is expressed by me on my blog - here >>>

Then there is this whole issue of where the boundaries are to what is considered violent or unacceptable behaviour during protests/demonstrations/direct actions.

Examples of what I mean - For me it is *not* acceptable to:

* Taunt, provoke, vilify, spit at, or in any way use violence against police, etc.

* Intrude upon, damage, vandalise, destroy any private or government property or physcal installation. e.g. tearing down barrier fences, occupying premises etc.

* Stop lawful enterprises from going about their business except via peaceful, nonviolent mass protest on public space (e.g. streets.)

I'm saying that due to the times in which we currently live (and the rights of others), we need to get A LOT SMARTER in how we express dissent and mount protest actions. There's so much more but I don't know how to adequately articulate it right now, but I guess my ideas are too way out - which is why I am not getting directly involved in any movements.

If you want to debate/discuss this, then maybe this is enough for openers.
That was over a month ago. So far, no reply...

Very sad...

2 Comments:

Blogger D said...

Try, try, try again? Maybe he didn't get your email. Or maybe he's worried you'll post all his replies to your blog.

Your argument seems reasonable and timely, so deliberately ignoring you would suggest he's just a fool.

October 29, 2005 3:29 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

I don't know, Deirdre. It's all too much for me right now.

October 31, 2005 12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========