Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Thursday, April 07, 2005

good news arrived at 3.25am...

I've been ranting for a long time now about how capitalism will destroy the earth. All doom and gloom. Things just had to change, didn't they?

The first warning tremor of hope was when Boynton put me onto a book by Paul Hawken titled The Ecology of Commerce - A Declaration of Sustainability. Whilst I still haven't gotten very far into this book, it's clear that it intends to offer an ecologically sustainable model of capitalism and this is encouraging.

For various reasons I haven't slept since yesterday, and so at 3.25am I found myself watching a repeat of yesterday's National Press Club Telstra Address on ABC TV. The speaker was L. Hunter Lovins. She is the President of Natural Capitalism Inc. She was saying all sorts of amazing things about new ways of doing capitalism - sustainably and ethically. So I thought I'd lend her my ear. Turns out that together with Paul Hawken and Amory Lovins, she co-wrote the book Natural Capitalism.

But her real purpose was to introduce (launch) an Australian ground breaking book in the area of environmental sustainability in business. The book, titled The Natural Advantage of Nations , is edited by Karlson ‘Charlie’ Hargroves and Michael H. Smith of The Natural Edge Project.

All I'm going to say for now is that all of this seems to shine a ray of hope onto what was up until now a very gloomy subject, and that I may have to curtail my negative rants on this subject for a while.

Damn... I hate that...

5 Comments:

Blogger The Editor said...

=fox: No doubt reading the book will prompt all manner of posts here, but for a review of the book I suggest the the link I provided.

=gringo: Yes, it's tough alright... About that conference, I posted on that here.

Hey guys...

"Thank you for commenting, this blog values your input. Is that enough McBlog for you, or would you like a link with that?" (Deem cheesy grin included) :-)

"Thank you, have a nice day. Please call again!" :-)

April 07, 2005 2:26 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

=fox, my views will filter out as I go through the book. Service? You get no service here! Bugger off! :-)

April 07, 2005 10:37 PM  
Blogger boynton said...

Wish I'd seen it - I was probably awake at 3.25 am myself.
Thanks for the info - will try to read more.

April 12, 2005 8:59 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Boynton, her talk was very American "can do" super-hype, but she presented some hope. Maybe I'm too sceptical.
Save the world -prove me wrong. I'd like nothing better.

April 12, 2005 9:44 PM  
Blogger GreenSmile said...

and now GE comes to the greening market:http://us.oneworld.net/external/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ens-newswire.com%2Fens%2Fmay2005%2F2005-05-09-10.asp

personally, I am wary of tigers claiming they will change their stripes. They may look like zebras in their press releases but I don't think they can eat grass yet. GE polluted the Hudson with PCBs for decades and we all will eat the tainted fish for further decades...I too am skeptical.

May 18, 2005 4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========