Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Friday, April 22, 2005

anti-activism activism...

This information was sent onto me from another activist - on the one hand it shows that we are seen as a force to be reckoned with but on the other hand it shows how organised the right is getting:

The Public Relations Institute of Western Australia recently held a Seminar to big Corporations and their PR Staff on how to undermine the effectiveness of community based activists.
HOW TO BEAT ACTIVISTS AT THEIR OWN GAME

Canadian PR consultant Ross Irvine will conduct a half-day PRIA
(Public Relations Institute of Australia) seminar on Tuesday 19 April
on the best strategies to win against activists.

President of Vancouver-based firm, ePublic Relations Ltd, Ross
advises clients on how to use activists' own street-smart tactics in
response to their campaigns. He believes activists are winning more
and more mining, agriculture, social and consumer issues.

Activists believe they know what is best for us - they have assumed
moral leadership on many issues globally and they pressure
businesses, governments and society to embrace their ideology.

They often recruit high-profile supporters to their causes, such as
academics, media personalities and stars from the entertainment
world. For instance, well-known local author Tim Winton was enlisted
to support the `Save Ningaloo Reef' campaign last year in WA.

Activists are hugely successful communicators. Measures of PR
success - story placements, number of interviews, shifts in public
opinion, legislation supporting their agenda – show that activists
not only get their messages heard, but also acted upon.

The Internet is central to their activities because it enables them
to pass information around the world instantly to each other to use
against their targets.

In Australia, activists have beaten all the efforts of public
relations practitioners and consultants from well-funded
biotechnology companies to prevent the introduction of GMO
(genetically modified organisms) crops in most of the country. In the
past 12 months the governments of WA, Victoria, NSW and South
Australia have either banned GMO crops altogether or severely limited
trials of GMO grains such as canola.

Activist groups are also known as special interest groups, lobby
groups or NGOs (non-government organisations). It is estimated there
are 50,000 NGOs in the world.

Ross will show how to understand the new activist mindset, how
activists use their networks, and the tools they use to win their
battles. He will explain how to outflank the attackers and ensure
activist organisations meet community standards of accountability and
transparency.

The seminar and a panel discussion will be held at the Hyatt Regency
Hotel from 9.00am to 12noon on Tuesday 19 April. Contact the PRIA WA
secretariat on priawa@bigpond.com for registrations and enquiries.

PRIAWA Website for contacts is at
http://www.pria.com.au/state/cid/9/category/Western%20Australia/parent/0/t/state

Ross Irvine's ePublic Relations Inc Website is at
http://www.epublicrelations.ca/Intro.html
You can lobby with the various members of the PRIAWA Council directly
and let them know what you think of such a Seminar.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Editor said...

I'm having technical problems which prevent me from posting new posts or editing existing posts. All I can do is post comments which is why you're reading this here. I have no idea how to fix it so I don't know how long this will go on for.

April 23, 2005 10:42 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Please ignore the previous comment. I am now able to post new posts and will do so soon. But now I find I cannot delete comments. Obviously this will only be temporary and is of no great consequence.

April 24, 2005 6:52 PM  
Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

Good morning Gerry - hope your tech clouds float away soon. Because you are in his area, I am wondering if our Ron of Mountain Murmurs is OK. yesterday I read a comment of his (somewhere) that agreed we are all a lot of sad old bastards with nothing better to do, and now his blog is DECEASED. Yes it is 7:30 and I am online. Eating breakfast and trying to ignore gutwrenching pain I have no other obligations to the world, and have read all the newspapers. am concerned about Ron though.

April 25, 2005 7:46 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Ron, I am really sad that you feel that way. When I look at the blogs who link to yours I am struck by two things:

(1) The large number.

(2) The quality of those blogs.

Heck mate, you've got bloggers linking to your blog, who, if they linked to mine, would have me glowing with pride and cause my ego to explode (this would not be a good thing, so thank the God of Atheists that they are not linking here!)

I suspect you are going through a bad patch emotionally, and I hope that when you feel better, (and you will), you'll resurrect your blog, but only if you want to, mind. Don't do it out of a sense of compulsion or obligation. (You can tell me to stick my unsolicited advice where the sun don't shine. :-)

I love my blogging (when I'm not spitting the dummy that is. :-)

I think it's an important release for my crap. I think it's where I learn through my mistakes. It's where my attidudes and beliefs get challenged by others and this is a refining process for my soul.

I don't get out much (I'm a card-carrying recluse), and so this is my way of still interacting with a community. I'm not currently getting any "help" (counselling/psychobabble), but when I was, I was repeatedly told to write my shit down, to keep a journal. Well, in a sense, this is what I do on my blog, with the added dimension of allowing other people able to read it and interact with me about what I say. A bit like group therapy. (And you're all doing a wonderful job, by the way. :-)

What I'm saying is that blogging needn't be bad for the soul.

If you do decide to keep away permanently, I wish you all the best and I will miss you and your blog. Take care, Ron.

Brownie, good morning, and yes, I can now do everything with my blog again, but I have to do it by using IE for some functions, and Firefox for others, till I sort out what's causing the shit.

By jingo, have a Happy Anzac day, y'all !!!

April 25, 2005 10:50 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Ron, you said "thanks for the good words", but I feel I share some of the responsibility for how you are feeling, given the critical posts and comments I've unleashed recently. If I've had something to do with your decision to pull the plug on your blog, I'm truly sorry.

I too feel inadequate and not good enough as a blogger. I'm constantly hovering on the edge of giving it away myself. Right now I feel like I've blogged myself to a standstill again. I'm sick of being a negative whinging cynic and doomsayer in my blog and I don't seem to have it in me to do a positive, "the world is just rosy" kind of blog. But I don't want to stop blogging. It's an addiction I guess. Perhaps it's not doing me any good either, although my parnter seems to think I've become more mellow in real life because I do all my ranting here.

It's just that I feel my rants have done damage to others.

Anyway I'm just waffling on about myself now, and the idea was to try to say something to you that might help you. I don't know what to say, Ron, but I send you my best wishes. That's about all I can do right now.

Anzac day has knocked me down as well, Ron, but possibly for different reasons. It's a difficult day for many.

Take care, old son...

April 26, 2005 1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========