Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Welcome to Boganville

I saw this sticker on the rear window of a car today:



Yes, I know these stickers have been around for a while...

But I'm confused... What constitutes love of Australia?

Does turning this country into a redneck, racist, hate-filled nation of bigots demonstrate love for this country?

What is and isn't love when it comes to "loving Australia"?

Until we can sort this out, how would we know who should be told to leave?

And remember, patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel...

Discuss.

11 Comments:

Blogger lemmiwinks said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 20, 2012 8:58 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

I blame the right wing politicians like Howard, Abbott, Hanson, et al. And the shock jocks. Don't forget the shock jocks. And right wing journos like Piers Ackerman, Miranda Devine, and of course the inimitable Andrew Bolt. Together they are the creators of Ugly Australia.

January 20, 2012 8:56 PM  
Blogger Davoh said...

Um, OK .. what happens if the word "love" is read, or understood, as "need".

ie .."i need my (motor vehicle/money/blokey friends/ .. more than you ..

OR ... "i need my hairdresser/cafe late/opera/theatre/art galleries .."

... more than you.

Think about it.

Do i need/love my country/locality more than yours .... ?

January 20, 2012 10:33 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Davo, if the word "love" is understood as "need", then, if I remember my psychology notes correctly, you're well on the way to a co-dependent, controlling, possessive kind of relationship. Suicide or murder is usually not far away. I would seek help.

January 20, 2012 11:30 PM  
Blogger phil said...

Cars started sporting the Aussie flags (two per car is de rigeur) a week or so ago in anticipation of eulogising our great country in that unique way. We get the stickers as you show, and also of course the "f**k off we're full" version.

Can't wait for Charlie Teo's Oz Day address, I read today that it is already fomenting foment.

Your identification of the usual suspects I also agree with, I just wonder why they do it.

January 21, 2012 12:15 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Phil, I think they do it because they're racists of the white supremacy kind. Most of them are way too stupid to even have a clue that that's what they are. Hence their frequent utterance of "I'm not a racist, but..."

And in keeping with the subject of this post, and your penchant for things musically modern:

I wanna no wot luv is

January 21, 2012 9:27 AM  
Blogger phil said...

Evidently in this part of the world patriotism is some kind of context. So far the winner is the 4WD with SIX flags a'spouting.

And thank you for the music (cue Abba!).

January 26, 2012 4:20 PM  
Blogger phil said...

For "context" read "contest" throughout.

Hat tip for this phrase: Sellars and Yeatman in the context (this time correctly used) of sausages.

January 27, 2012 7:39 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

I think we might have hostage sizzle situation here...

And please refrain from making references to Abba on this blog. This is an Abba-free zone.

January 27, 2012 10:40 PM  
Blogger phil said...

Even if I spell it backwards...?

January 28, 2012 5:10 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

ESPECIALLY if you spell it backwards!

January 28, 2012 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========