Nothing in this blog can be believed. If you think that anything in this blog is true or factual, you'll need to verify it from another source. Do you understand? No? Then read it again, and repeat this process, until you understand that you cannot sue me for anything you read here. Also, having been sucked into taking part in the mass-murder of more than 3 million Vietnamese people on behalf of U.S. Big Business "interests", I'm as mad as a cut snake (and broke) so it might be a bit silly to try to sue me anyway...

Thursday, July 03, 2008

hallelujah...

I've become a collector of versions of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah".

So far I've got versions by:

Leonard Cohen
K.D. Lang
Jeff Buckley
The Choir Of Hard Knocks

... and I quite like this YouTube version by K.D. Lang >>>

They all reduce me to tears. Every time.

(...don't suppose anyone can tell me how I can download (save-to-disk)
stuff from YouTube...)

8 Comments:

Blogger Erich said...

One of the simplest tools for copying anything off YouTube is vixy.net Enter the web URL of the video you want to copy, then select what format you want. Vixy will convert and give you video or audio mp3 files and once converted you save to wherever you want. When a lot of people are using it the conversion can be slow or break down. Mostly though it's easy and it works.

My favorite of all Hallelujahs is by Allison Crowe But you can get her audio version in higher quality than you can using vixy on a video.

July 03, 2008 11:11 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Thanks, Erich. How's the quest for ale going up in Darwin?

I'm also told that this is another way to go:

http://www.downloadyoutubevideos.com/

July 03, 2008 11:26 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Oh, and yeah, I have seen the Allison Crowe version. It was the reason for my YouTube download query. :-)

July 03, 2008 11:28 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

If you have Firefox, you can download a free addon called "downloadhelper" which also does an excellent job.

I now have a nice collection of hallelujas...

July 03, 2008 9:15 PM  
Blogger phil said...

that'll be "hallelujae" surely

July 05, 2008 5:28 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Is that the plural?

July 05, 2008 5:41 PM  
Blogger GreenSmile said...

odd song that, and great writer cohen. First I heard it was on the closing credits of the first "Shrek" movie...its sadness was not evident there.

The next time I heard it, I got it from both barrels: a quite talented woman who teaches music and writes books on getting a just rapprochement of Israelis and Palestinians, sang it at the first party she'd held since her recent divorce...it makes a good anthem for those with failed relationships. I have since made sure I know the lyrics so I can sing along whenever its played.

July 06, 2008 11:54 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

GreenSmile, yes, a great anthem for cynical bastards like myself. Cohen always was a god for depressives. I wonder how many suicides he's assisted.

About the lyrics, there's a whole bunch of alternative verses which pop up in different versions.

I like the version sung by Allison Crowe (see link in Erich's comment) best, at the moment.

July 07, 2008 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

==========
<<<<< Home
==========